6 Daily Habits to Keep Your House Clean
*This post contains affiliate links*
Keeping a clean house is a struggle. Especially, when you’re not the only one living in it. Lol. Que kids, dogs, and husbands leaving their mark in the form of dust, dirt, clutter, and mess. Seriously, I’m so in love with them…even with their big messes. 🙂
I don’t know about you, but when my house is a wreck I can’t concentrate. I feel anxious, overwhelmed, and I can’t think clearly. My brain feels as chaotic as my home looks. Especially as an introvert, my home is my safe haven. Being home is my favorite thing, and I need it to be a place that gives peace and restoration. (Please don’t read that my home is perfect. It’s not by far!! We are just talking about daily maintenance.)
Even with these beautiful mess making people living here, my house is ready for company pretty much all the time.
2 things that keep my house clean.
Having a weekly cleaning routine and these 6 daily habits keeps my house on track.
These daily habits not only keep your house clean and company ready, they also make your weekly cleaning easier and faster. Don’t worry! They are quick and easy. They’re for both the work full-time mom and the stay at home mom.
Quick is key. If they take you forever, you will not do it. Let go of perfection and get it done as fast as you can. It’ll make a huge difference, I promise.
6 Daily Habits to Keep Your House Clean
1 – Make your bed
• Doesn’t your room just look neater and less chaotic when the bed is made?
• It takes less than 1 minute if you do it every day.
• It feels cozier when you climb into bed at night.
2 – Wipe down the bathrooms
• This takes 3 minutes for two bathrooms.
• Take a towel and wipe down the counters, sink, and toilet. I don’t use cleaner; I save that for my weekly cleaning. Just wiping it all down quickly with a towel gets rid of hair, dust, toothpaste, and fuzz that’s always in the bathrooms.
• Another idea would be to leave a container of disinfecting wipes under the sink for your daily wipe down.
• You probably already figured it out but wipe the toilet last…you wouldn’t put that on your counter. 🙂
• If the toilet needs a swipe of the brush, then do it. It’s not necessary every day, only as needed.
• If there’s a toothpaste spot on the mirror, I wipe it off quickly. It doesn’t look perfect, but it’s better.
• This makes cleaning your bathrooms weekly so much easier!
3 – Clean Kitchen
• Keep your sink empty and rinsed clean.
• Put your dishes in the dishwasher as soon as you’re done with them. Leaving them in the sink only creates extra work for you, and makes your kitchen look messy.
• This means you need to put away your clean dishes when the dishwasher finishes.
• Some people find it works best to run the dishwasher every night and put the dishes up each morning. Or run it in the morning while you’re at work and put them up when you get home.
• Find what works best for you! I don’t have to run the dishwasher every day. I make sure there is enough room in there for the dinner dishes and run the dishwasher as needed.
• Wipe your counters and table after every meal and as needed in-between.
• A clean clutter free counter makes it easier to prepare meals, and it looks so much better.
• Let’s face it, it’s hard enough to cook dinner every night without having to clean before you can cook.
4 – Quick Pick Up
• Being home all day, we do a pick up everytime we move from upstairs to downstairs or vice versa. This means we do a quick pick up 3 times during the day.
• If you’re outside of the home all day, then one pick up before bed should be fine. This is quick – less than 5 minutes, all hands on deck pick up. My 5-year-old helps…my 1-year-old tries to pull stuff out faster than we can put it up. lol. 🙂
5 – Sweep the Kitchen
• The kitchen is the room that usually gets the messiest. Spend 5 minutes doing a quick sweep before bed, and it will be like new each morning when you wake up.
• We have hardwood floors throughout our house. It is an upgrade that we saved a long time to make happen. When we got them, we also got a Roomba. That thing is a lifesaver. You still have to sweep at least weekly, but it will dramatically decrease the dirt, dog hair, and dust floating around your house.
6 – Laundry
• Could you ever leave out laundry? Unfortunately, no. It’s never-ending. lol.
• Complete one load – wash, dry, fold – every other day, and you will never have a laundry mountain. Most advise suggests one load per day, but every other day is more attainable and is usually enough to keep the laundry chaos away.
How much time do these take to keep your house clean?
Ok. So, how much time will all of this take every day?! If you aren’t currently maintaining any of these areas it seems like a lot, but I’d encourage you to take it one step at a time. Add one habit per week until you’ve reached all six.
If you do all six in one day, you’re looking at maybe 30 minutes on the days that you do laundry and 20 minutes on the days you don’t – and they’ll keep your house clean.
Those 20-30 minutes will be well worth your sanity and comfort in your home.
Something to think about once you have these basics down is your own personal preferences. Is there any one thing that drives you crazy? Like your entryway or coffee table? When you have a good rhythm down, add a QUICK daily habit to help tame those crazy areas.
I feel the need to confess here that although I do have a good routine for keeping my house clean with day to day things. I have not figured out a good deep cleaning routine. I’m working on it! So, if you come over for coffee, just don’t look too closely at the cabinet doors or ceiling fans…deal? Deal! 🙂
Do you currently use any of these quick daily habits to keep your house clean?
I told you about my love for Habits in my last Facebook Live. I’m there every Wednesday at 4:00 est, and I’d love to have you there! I’m studying this book. So, look for more information about habits coming up! Let me know if there are any specific habits you are looking to work on, maybe I can give you some ideas and encouragement!
Only have time for video? I go Live every Wednesday on FB 4:00 est. Watch it here.
6 Daily Habits to Keep Your House CleanDon’t worry they’re easy and fast!Blog Post – http://www.overwhelmedtofulfilled.com/daily-habits-to-keep-your-house-clean/Is there something you want me to talk about? Comment here. Or email me at Jessica@OverwhelmedtoFulfilled.com
Posted by Overwhelmed to Fulfilled on Wednesday, October 25, 2017
CHECK OUT THESE POSTS